⎪ THE COMPANY
1822 > It was in this year that the company A L’Olivier was founded in the Marais quarter in the heart of Paris. Monsieur Popelin, a pharmacist, set up a shop devoted to olive oil…
A pioneer and a visionary, he already knew in 1822 what today’s press, informed by scientific studies, are still proclaiming: the green gold is an elixir. Over the years he extolled the virtues of the olive oil, which he had discovered over the course of a series of visits to Provence, to the Parisians. The shop became the haunt of those who adored the Mediterranean way of life. The company calmly passed through the decades, picking up two silver medals at the World Fairs (Expositions Universelles) of 1867 and 1889.
1978 > Having passed through the Popelin, Colmet (Popelin’s son-in-law) and Menuisier families, the shop was purchased by oil merchant and owner of the Bailly oil mill, Jean-Claude Blanvillain, in 1978. It was then that the first exportations took place and that the North American market became a large outlet for the company. At the same time, the shop in the Marais quarter was growing in popularity, and before long it was receiving regular visits from names such as Michèle Morgan, Catherine Deneuve, Georges Moustaki, Yves Robert and Agnès B.
1985 > In 1985 the workshops in Provence were created. Located a stone’s throw away from the olive trees themselves, the company was able to enjoy closer contact with the raw materials.
A L’Olivier today > Jean-Claude Blanvillain’s two sons, Benoît and later Jérôme, joined the family company, and remain in charge today.
2014 > A family company, the Bailly group / A L’Olivier now boasts a workforce of sixty, spread out over its three sites in France. In Provencal workshops near Nice, the company’s olive oils, infused oils, vinegars and other specialities are selected, prepared and bottled. A few kilometres outside of Poitiers in the west of France, our mill makes delicious nut and seed oils using traditional artisanal methods. The logistical centre of Bailly, based in Paris, is responsible for supplying our clients throughout France. The Parisian workshops also handle the ALO miniature range and the group’s catering services.